Molasses cookies were a staple in my house growing up. Often confused with ginger snaps, molasses cookies are distinct in that when cooked right, should have a slightly gooey center.
|Preferred Molasses||1/4 cup|
|Baking Soda||2 tsp.|
|Ground Cloves||1/2 tsp.|
|Ground Ginger||1/2 tsp.|
- Melt shortening over medium heat in a small saucepan. Cool.
- Add sugar, molasses, and egg. Beat well.
- Add all dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Form into 1" balls and roll each in a small bowl of sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375deg oven for 8-10 minutes.
Pro tip: If not consuming right away, place in an airtight container with a piece of white bread to help retain moisture.